Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Over the pond.

Ever heard of WOW airlines?
Yeah, me neither. 
I left from BWI Wednesday afternoon with the bags that I packed Tuesday night (okay, and Wednesday morning). Wow has a weird rule where your carry-on has to be less than 11 pounds, which is barely the weight of my laptop. Needless to say, I packed very carefully. 
The flights were long, but I managed to knock myself out with some (over-the-counter) drugs. 
I was out cold before they gave safety instructions (would not recommend). Because I was flying so far north, the sun actually never set. Here is two photos, taken two hours apart. #MidnightSun #Beautiful #ButIStillWantToSleep

Sunset over the Atlantic
Sunrise over somewhere in Greenland
 My First view of Iceland! Beautiful Country.

 Look at that sunrise! (At 4:30 a.m.)

 I arrived at Reykjavik in the very early morning, after a somewhat rough flight. The airport there is small and confusing, and I forgot that you need different money in different countries to buy food. Yes, I was that American tourist who gave the cashier a Madison.


 I had no idea what to order or how much any of it cost.
We had to walk to our next plane, and here is the view from behind the fence!!! I would love to explore this country a little bit more.

 My only selfie in Iceland
 I was able to stay awake for Safety Instructions on this flight, although I did not understand a word of it. Whoops.
 My Icelandic breakfast/lunch/dinner (I don't know what type of meal I was supposed to be having, so I just covered my bases)
I did not sleep on the second flight to England, although in retrospect, I really should have. I sat next to two mother/daughter Icelanders who were going to visit their cousin in London, and it was the daughter's first time out of the country. This 35 year-old daughter learned English by watching the O.C. and asked me all of these questions about the show and the actors. Unfortunately, I have never watched that show in my life but fortunately, I am very good at pretending. 
 First view of England
 I arrived at the Gatwick airport and it was incredibly chaotic and stressful. The border control line took me almost two hours to get through, with no form of entertainment. It took me another hour to get money and figure out the cheapest way to get to the centre. I took a train to Victoria Station (above) and then took my first double-Decker bus ride to Palace Court.
 27 Palace Court
Tired, Smelly and famished. But thrilled to be there!

1 comment: